Odd keyboard and mouse problems FC8 / Acer laptop

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Nov 25 04:40:54 UTC 2007

I have an ACER laptop with a patched FC4, and wanted to test before
going to FC8. Booting the live CD (GNOME) I got through the grub menu
just fine, mouse and keyboard working, and through the graphical boot,
and both the mouse and keyboard could be used...

But as soon a the desktop came up, the mouse touchpad worked, but the
keyboard and the buttons didn't.

Since this works fine on FC4 and all through the startup, I consider
hardware issues unlikely at best, at least broken hardware, I can
believe that X is so confused that it's not working, but the live CD
leaves no log I can examine after the fact.