Booting F8 from USB Attached Hard Drive

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Sun Nov 25 05:14:41 UTC 2007

Is it possible to install Fedora 8 on a hard drive (120 gb) attached to
a laptop via USB, and then boot from it without damaging the distro
installed on the laptop's internal hard drive? The laptop is about 2
years old (Dell Inspiron 2200) that I believe can boot from an external
hard drive or a USB flash drive.

I would like to test out F8 with the laptop's wireless card and I'm
debating whether to use a USB hard drive that I have or buying an 8 gb
USB flash drive. (If someone could point me to how to set up a usb flash
drive to boot F8, I would appreciate it.)

Rick B.