Can Java just shoot me?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Nov 25 11:30:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 10:03:45PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> We have found that the version number of the JRE has far more to do with
> whether Smiley (the name of the telescope) will run on a particular browser
> or not than the platform.  We test many versions from 1.4.2 on up, and there
> are too many version-specific hacks to be at all funny.

I had this problem in reverse, we have an Oracle forms applet at work
and it insisted on having JRE version 1.4.2_06 and rejected any other
version.  I had to patch the applet to make it accept a later 1.4.2
version that it actually works with perfectly well.

So much for Java being 'platform independent'!  :-)

--
Chris Green