"apt" to eventaully replace "rpm"?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Sun Nov 25 16:05:41 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   a book i'm reading contains the sentence:
> >
> > "It remains to be seen whether Apt will become the preferred tool for
> > package management for RPM users."
> >
> >   i was unaware that that was even a possibility.  is it?

fedora has yum, apt, smart  in the repo  you are free to choose the tool of
your choice.  yum is the preferred way  but it doesn't mean its the only way

>     That sounds like a writer with Debian experience and a feeling Apt
> is easier than RPM. There are some things in RPM that are quite odd. I
> think Apt is a simpler method. I have ubuntu-7.10 loaded and it uses Apt
> and it seems to update as well as RPM.

apt is to yum what dpkg is to rpm   your comparing apples to oranges here.
and rpm has alot more features than dpkg and is much simpler to use.  apt
came about to hide the details of dpkg from the user.

Dennis