VDQ : gnome-system-monitor

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Nov 25 17:32:12 UTC 2007

	I always put the monitor on my bottom panel -- the one in System
Tools, with an icon of a zig-zag curve, yellow on green, with four
buttons to the right of it.

	Sometimes a right click on that icon will give me a choice of
preferences; and if check several, the icon will turn into a display of
the loads on those. I find that helpful.

	Sometimes, however, there is no preferences choice, but only a
properties choice; nothing I can do to that one, including editing the
preferences after opening it, will make the icon become the display.

	This has been true of the last several Fedora releases; any given
machine will have one or the other, but never both nor a choice between
-- even though I run the same Fedora release on all machines.

	The one that shows Properties says its command is gnome-system-
monitor; the other gives me no way I can see to find out the command it
uses.

	Why are there two, and how can I choose??

Remember I know little (precious little!)
of what I am talking about.