net-pf-10

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 06:45:33 UTC 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 12:23 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 00:58 -0800, Tod Merley wrote:
> > Typing "ipv" in the search
> > window should yield a "network.dns.disableIPv6" which is set to
> > "false" and by setting to "true" will disable IPv6 DNS queries.
> > 3. You can edit out the modem's DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf and
> > assuming you have another accessable server there browsing will be
> > fine until resolv.conf is edited - likely by your
> > DHCP client sometime in the future.
> Tod, since you have knowledge of such things, when I did as you
> suggested above I also got this:
> network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains - default - string  -.doubleclick.net
> I'm not sure I like seeing doubleclick anything within my browser.
> What's with that, am I being tracked?? May I kill it or edit it? Ric
>
> --
> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

Hi Ric Moore!

My expertise on the afore mentioned problem was driven my a desperate
need to have and use Linux on the net in my environment.  I did learn
a lot and meant to but I do not consider myself any kind of expert.

You did remind me of why I load the new versions of Linux often and
fresh.  You also reminded me to "loose my cookies" and change the
cookie policy to flush them when I log off.

One of my goals is to have the most recent versions of clamav and a
good root kit hunter constantly active on my systems.  Currently I am
happy to load the new versions fairly often saving only the important
things in my home areas.

As for "am I being tracked" - yes, constantly.  By the cookies of all
kinds of companies, by whenever and what ever you search for, by
network bots of various kinds, and probably by many other mechanisms I
have never heard of.  Some of it is basic valid  business, much of it
is barbaric in character, and some of it is outhright hostility.

May God have mercy on us!

Tod