fc8 no sound

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:33:44 UTC 2007

> I could not agree with you more Karl. Over the years on different distro's
> I've got the sound sorted, and now pulse audio is brought into the
> equation,
> and wants to screw the sound up again. I'm sure there are probably some
> benefits to using pulseaudio, but at the moment all I want is my sound to
> work, and pulseaudio on F8 is messing with it.

The only thing you accomplish removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
is the suppression of this file:

[cascavel:/etc/alsa] more pulse-default.conf
# pulseaudio plugin configuration

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

It gives you the default for alsa. If you create a ~/.asoundrc

for your needs it will produce the same result.

> I won't go into the problems I'm having with udev in the ordering of video
> devices for my webcam, and tvcard. that's for another day. All I can say
> is
> that pre udev kernels always order the tvcard as /dev/video0, and the
> webcam
> as /dev/video1, but it's really hit and miss with kernels that use udev.
> I've
> reached the stage where I have 2 desktop icons for Xawtv. 1 pointing
> to /dev/video0, and the other to /dev/video1. I'm watching the Marx
> brothers
> on the TV at the mo, and this sounds like a Marx Bros situation. If one
> don't
> work try the other.

You need to create some udev rules:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter07/symlinks.html