Wanna give me a hand debunking this?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 21:19:03 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:

>>> Fedora's stated lifetime policy and rate of technical advancement
>>> has to be weighted against other distribution choices in the Fedora
>>> derived ecosystem which move more slowly.  The release cycle and
>>> updating policy of the Fedora distribution are not necessarily the
>>> most attractive elements for use in production systems.
>> Or anything but disposable test boxes?
>
> Like various parts of the build infrastructure that builds the various
> Fedora and EPEL packages?  I don't consider those to be disposable
> test boxes, but I really don't know what your criteria are.

I mean in a situation where if they don't come up running after a
scheduled update/reboot it will cost you something.  Doing a job that
can wait until an experienced administrator fixes things or pulling data
stored in some more reliable repository doesn't really count.

>> Are there plans to add the things that would most likely to be
>> needed - the popular desktop packages like OpenOffice, Firefox,
>> Evolution, Thunderbird, etc. in the versions that fedora is
>> shipping?
>
> Not likely.  EPEL isn't about replacing things in RHEL.  It is about
> adding on.

Then it still misses the need for a way to get current desktop programs
without wild and crazy changes in the kernel and device drivers.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com