FC8 dvd upgrade problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Nov 27 00:08:06 UTC 2007

<----------------------------------[snip]---------------------->

> floppy                  /dev/fd0                auto    defaults        0 0
> dvd                     /dev/scd                ext3    defaults        0 0
>

>    Thanks  david

Your dvd line in fstab does not make sense. It looks like you are
trying to mount a partition labeled dvd using a mount point of
/dev/scd - this is why you are getting the mounting error. You
should never have mount points in the /dev directory tree! The
floppy entry will also cause you problems.

I am not sure what the fix is, because you do not say how you are
trying to do the upgrade. You may be okay if you delete the floppy
and dvd lines from /etc/fstab and try again. Or you may have to fix
the dvd line to use something like /mnt/dvd instead of /dev/scd, and
create a /mnt/dvd directory to use as a mount point.