FC6->FC8 Migration Path

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Nov 27 03:39:30 UTC 2007

Tod writes:

> Is there one, other than doing a clean install?  I'd prefer a straight
> upgrade if I could get away with it.  Any reference docs anyone could
> point me to?

I've done F6 to F7, then F7 to F8 upgrade. I can't think of any reasons why
F6 to F8 will not work.

The only key points to note are:

1) upgrades are much slower than clean installs

2) make sure that your existing F6 system is stable. Run "rpm --rebuilddb"
to make sure that the rpm database is clean.

3) make sure that all your partitions -- includes the swap partition! --
have volume labels, and they are referenced by their volume label in
/etc/fstab and in the boot prompt -- otherwise the upgrade will refuse to
install. I don't remember if it was F6 or F7 that switched to libata and
required partition labels. Whichever one it was: once I labeled all my
partitions properly (in F6 or F7), the upgrade went in without a hitch.