a paper I can't find...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 27 11:32:52 UTC 2007

Frank Cox
>>> You don't need a mainframe for that.  Take a look at
>>> http://www.ltsp.org

John Summerfield:
> I don't think Tim was referring to thin clients.

I wasn't.  I am aware of them, and they're a middle ground in the
situation I was alluding to.  Yes, you'll have a more fancier terminal
with a thin client, as most real dumb terminals are little more than
display and keyboard.  But they're a bit more admin work.

> An insurance company Daughter's working for's rolling out thin
> clients.  She's not enthusiastic, she wants her real PC.

Me, I'd rather not have individual PCs.  I don't find them reliable, I
don't find they're maintained well, I do find you frequently get
hamstrung by something that got saved locally instead of over the
network, and terminals needing reconfiguring for personalisation rather
than your preferences following you around (no I don't care about pretty
backgrounds, but decent readable fonts are important, etc.).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.