recently started crashing 4 am

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 27 16:21:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 16:46 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
> > Mail List wrote:
SNIP
> Run half. You eliminate one half immediately.
>
> Enable to okay part, and half the other. Repeat until done.
>

> This is why I do not do automatic updates, ever. I've been saying since
> RHN was introduced, back around Valhalla's time, it was a bad idea.
> Automatic downloading is good. I like to see what changes, and what's
> proposed to change. Even security fixes aren't necessarily urgent.

I think that today the issues surrounding security might make them more
urgent than in times past.
Things like worms and DNS attacks make vulnerable systems a liability to
everyone on the network, excluding only those folks where a firewall
might mitigate such attacks, assuming that the firewall is setup to
properly eliminate such hacks.  Otherwise the common user should
probably rely upon security updates daily, to protect not only
themselves, but everyone else as well.

JMHO,
Les H