how to share internet connection in fedora

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Nov 27 17:37:41 UTC 2007

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 08:45:02 -0800,
>   Paul Shaffer <ace_wizard at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Azeez, what you need is not trite retorts from resident list
imbeciles (see Bill's response below), but rather to employ an
iptables firewall application/script. There are numerous available
to meet any need from simple to enterprise-capable. Firestarter,
Shorewall, and I believe there is a basic firewall configuration
utility in the distro. The web-based firewall gui in Webmin provides
a very simple rudimentary funtion for this. There are many others.

> Depending on what he wants to do there can be significantly more invloved.
> His original question was incomplete and asking to expand on it before giving
> him an inappropiate response was correct.

It would help to know things like how the Linux box connects to the
Internet now, how the Linux box connects to the rest of the
computers on the network, etc. For example, if he had a DSL or cable
modem, using a PPPoE or PPPoA connection, and only one NIC, it gets
a bit complicated. Sharing a dial-up connection with other computers
is a bit easier, but then you get into things like DNS caching,
maybe running something like squid, etc. While it is possible to
share a DSL or cable connection that does not use PPPoE using only
one NIC and a hub, that is really complicated.

Then you get into things like are all the computers going to use a
static IP, or do you need to set up a DHCP server? You also run into
things like is the Linux box going to be running all the time? If
not, what happens when the other computers need to access the
Internet? So the correct answer may be to buy a firewall/router, and
plug all the computers into it.

There is no way to tell from the original question. In the long run,
something on the order of pointing the OP to something like: