yum and firewall problems.

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Nov 27 21:51:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 22:11 +0100, john brennan-sardou wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I am running f8 and it works like a charm, well nearly!
> _Problem number one._
>  Every now and then when I try to update software through yum I get the
> following information. It does not work all of the time and is downright
> annoying.
>
> Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 2723.
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
>
> At the same time the  front end of f8  "the packet manager" used for
> software is blocked also. I can not understand why it does this. Could
> it be the automatic update the style "you have 10 new updates"?
> Has anybody got a pkill quick and dirty command to get rid of this
> without too many problems.

yum-updatesd will hold the lock while it's running yum.  It will remove
the lock once its copy of yum exits.  There's no need to do anything
drastic...just wait a few minutes.

I don't know what the "packet manager" is.  Perhaps you mean "package
manager".  If so, you should know that yum runs rpm (the package
manager).  Since only one copy of yum or rpm may run at any given time,
you are prevented from running a second copy.  Again, just wait a few
minutes and it'll all be OK.

However, if you wish to disable yum-updatesd, then, as root:

	chkconfig --level 2345 yum-updatesd off
	service yum-updatesd stop

> _Problem number two
> _I can not change my firewall rules through the front end
> "system-config-firewall.py" A box comes up with the changes which I have
> asked for and at the end it says "failed to restart iptables" What is
> more on downing the machine the iptables modules are not removed, they
> "fail".
> I would be delighted to get these problems out of the way. Thanks a lot.

Don't run "system-config-firewall.py", just run
"system-config-firewall" (without the ".py" at the end).  It must be run
as root.

Or, from Gnome:

	System->Administration->Firewall

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -