Serial Port Bug?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Nov 27 22:34:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 15:05 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Albert Graham wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:

> >>    Hi Lamar, I get nothing from dmesg | grep ttyS   and I even tried
> >> /dev/ttyS :-)
> >>
> > Try: dmesg|grep -i serial
> >
> > Also, I think the driver supports 4 ports rather than saying you have
> > 4 ports, as the chances are you only have 2 (one internal + one
> > external).
> >
> > Al.
> >
>     Well that gets nothing. And I have only one serial plug on the
> computer. Not sure why grep missed it...
>
>     Yes this worked:
>
> [root at k5di ~]# dmesg | grep Serial
> Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
> [root at k5di ~]#
>
> It took a capital S in Serial :-)

When in doubt, "grep -i" ignores case in matches.  "dmesg | grep -i
serial" would've caught it.

"man" is your friend.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                   Never try to outstubborn a cat.                  -