FC8 dvd upgrade problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Nov 27 22:50:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 07:55 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 09:57 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> >
> >> dvd    /dev/scd                ext3    defaults        0 0
> >>

> > You have a dvd at "/dev/scd"?  And it uses "ext3" as its file system?
> >
> > I don't think removable media has needed entries in the fstab file since
> > about FC4.  Certainly if you're using Gnome or KDE.
> >
> > Try commenting it out, completely, and see if the auto-mounting system
> > works by itself.
> >

> Thanks Tim, I'll try it out.
> What about the missing /dev/scd do I do a mkdir /dev/scd ?

By default with no entries in /etc/fstab, the automounter will
automatically mount any data CDs or DVDs in /media/name-of-volume in F6,
F7 or F8.  Lacking a volume name, then it'll be /media/cdrom
or /media/dvd.

On top of that, any CD or DVD will NOT be an ext3 filesystem but an
iso9660 filesystem.

If you want a manual mount:

1. Disable the automounter stuff.  Under Gnome:
"System->Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives and Media" and uncheck
the "Mount removable media when inserted" box.  There's something
similar under KDE.

2. As root run these commands:

    # mkdir /media/cdrom
    # chgmod 777 /media/cdrom

3. Add this line to /etc/fstab:

    /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom   iso9660   noauto,users,ro    0 0

4. Insert a data CD or DVD and enter "mount /media/cdrom".  The data
should appear at /media/cdrom.

5. Don't forget to "umount /media/cdrom" or "eject /media/cdrom" when
you want to eject the media.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -