Fedora 8 runlevel 3

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 27 23:04:42 UTC 2007

Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Bill Geng wrote:
>> I just installed Fedora 8 on my desktop computer. My computer gets an
>> IP address from my router which runs a DHCP server. It works at
>> runlevel 5. I can access the Internet. After I changed the default
>> runlevel from 5 to 3, my network interface cannot be bring up
>> automatically. I have to run "ifup eth0" manually to get an IP

Seems to me that network manager is far from ready for use, it's causing
too much trouble to too many people.

If you use your system like most Windows users do, then it's probably okay.

>> address. Anyone can help me out.
>
> I've had this problem too for one of my servers that runs nessus on
> Fedora8. I solved it by stopping the NetworkManager service and starting
> the "network" service.
>
> # chkconfig NetworkManager off
> # chkconfig network on
> # service NetworkManager stop
> # service network start

I don't remember doing this, but it does work very nicely on my desktop
development machine:
[summer at potoroo ~]$ chkconfig  --list | grep -i network
NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
NetworkManagerDispatcher        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off
5:off   6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[summer at potoroo ~]$

--

Cheers
John