Serial Port Bug?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Nov 27 23:19:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:48:21 -0700
Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

> This made me think the new
> computer which has a serial port that is not working.

I could certainly be a busted serial port, but there are
billions of other possibilities as well (unfortunately :-).

Did you install Xen on the system and are you running the
Xen kernel? I know that Xen likes to steal the serial port
even from the Dom0 for use as a console in the xen
microkernel.

There could also be udev permission problems (though you
probably would have still seen something about ttyS* in
dmesg in that case). You might have to add your user to
group "uucp" to access the serial port.

If you have any of the various livecd distributions around,
you might try booting them to see if they can see a serial
port.