a paper I can't find...

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 27 23:31:38 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

>> An insurance company Daughter's working for's rolling out thin
>> clients.  She's not enthusiastic, she wants her real PC.
>
> Me, I'd rather not have individual PCs.  I don't find them reliable, I
> don't find they're maintained well, I do find you frequently get
> hamstrung by something that got saved locally instead of over the
> network, and terminals needing reconfiguring for personalisation rather
> than your preferences following you around (no I don't care about pretty
> backgrounds, but decent readable fonts are important, etc.).

I maintain a Windows network. Desktops follow the user, they can't
(easily) save locally.

The desktop's cached on the client system, and copied back to the server
when they log out (or the system's turned off).

I can reinstall at any time, and if one dies, the replacement is a fresh
install.

--

Cheers
John