Fedora 8 runlevel 3

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 28 01:18:10 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 2:04 PM, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> Seems to me that network manager is far from ready for use, it's causing
>> too much trouble to too many people.
>
> It is ready for use... for some situations.  This is exactly the
> reason why NetworkManager is  NOT turned on by default on the
> traditional dvd install media in F8. The legacy network stack is still
> the default for the traditional dvd install target.  The Live CD
> however is specifically designed for a a much narrower range of usage
> cases, where dhcp is expected to be used and NM is turned on by
> default there.  You sort of have to admit that the livecd desktop
> experience is enhanced by having NM turned on.

I don't have to admit any such thing:-)

Seriously, I have five Linux computers (excluding the wrt54g) that run
Linux, have wireless, and don't ordinarily boot to a GUI.

All require, or are likely to require, two or more network interfaces.
At one time, I had one other with two ethernet NICs, one wireless
(configured as an AP) and one modem on a serial port.

Unless it works without a GUI, even for setup, Network Manager isn't
useful to me.

> If you did an install using the live cd.. you get NM turned on. If you
> used the dvd installer you get the legacy network stack by default.
> There is an understanding that NM doesn't have enough features yet to
> turn on by default for all uses and so the dvd installer doesn't use
> it by default.
>
> But the plan is to turn NM on by default everywhere at some point. So
> you should watch NM development and see how the reuse of
> pre-configured static settings progresses.
>
> My biggest concern is that we didn't correctly anticipate people
> making wide use the livecd as a preferred installation method for
> traditional server/workstation installs.  Though if NM static setting
> development progresses at pace, the issue may well be moot by F9
> release.

Ah well, it's about what I said, but with more detail. Thanks Jef. Or Jeff.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait