OT: are usb flash drives suitable archival media?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 02:33:05 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 3:56 PM, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:
>

> >> --
> >> Robin Laing
> >
> > Use DVD-R or DVD+R media. I would not recommend using DVD+WR media.
> >
> > You're supposed to be able to use DVD+WR as a DVD-ROM. Well, long
> > story short, a DVD-ROM disc created on DVD+RW media 6 months ago is
> > totally unreadable. I tried reading the data using 4 different drives.
> > None of the drives could detect that media was in the drive. There is
> > probably something wrong with the burner I'm using. It is also causing
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> If so, nothing else is relevant.
> > 4X CD-RW media to become coasters after an erasing operation.
> >
> Nothing here suggests to me you'd have done better with write-once media.
>
> You should verify important backups immediately.

The data passed verification when burned and was readable on the drive
of another computer. Only months later when I tried reading the data
did I discover the disc had become unreadable. By the way, 4X-12X
CD-RW media appears to be erasable/reusable on the suspect drive. I'll
have to search through my stack of backups to see if any were created
on that drive and if the data is still readable.