[OT] Is Samba client not following the protocol?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 28 07:17:35 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> It's only left out of the way, not really hidden.  Windows even has
>> graphical tools to show you this stuff.  It seems, to me, that you're
>> coming into this with a false expectation.

Deepak Shrestha:
> Not really a false expectation. Its more of a curiosity about why
> network browser in linux is showing the stuffs which are not even
> needed by the user. I will accept that if my folder$ will show but
> what about C$, D$, E$ so on an so forth which was not even shared from
> windows machine?
>
> What I mean is if a guest connects to my network (with a linux pc as
> client), he can see how many drives I have, what share names are used
> and what are hidden shares at a glance. So why should I need to give
> such information for a visitor who will just use the network for a
> time being only?

That *is* what I meant about the wrong expectation.  It's the client
that doesn't show some files.  The server just serves out what's on
offer, all of it, regardless.  The client hides some things from view,
if configured to do so (which is the default, for some aspects of things
in Windows - such as not showing $-hidden shares).  You're looking for
the solution in the wrong place, where it cannot be done.  You can't
forcefully keep something hidden, from the server side of things.

Windows does some shenanigans with each drive, even if not sharing
anything from them.  I cannot remember the reasons why.

A little more thought and experimenting with Samba served out from FC4,
makes me think the following:  It's share names ending with a $ that are
hidden, you can't just hide anything by tagging a $ onto the end of it
(e.g. files and folders inside a share).  I've never seen a share ending
with a $ appear in a browser window.  So, if *you're* seeing them, I
think you've found a bug with the client side of things.

That still only addresses your view.  What others see when connecting to
your network is down to *their* system.  It can show everything, or hide
the things from view that you'd like hidden.  But it's the one that
ultimately decides what's not displayed on itself.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.