TCP/HTTP Bug Fedora Core 8 (and 6)

Duncan Berriman duncan at dcl.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 10:46:18 UTC 2007

If a TCP/IP connection is made to a certain public web server
then the transfer rate on Fedora Core 6 onwards is in the
region of 100B/S (bytes per second). On Fedora Core 2 and
Fedora Core 4 the speed is in the region of 300KB/s (Kbytes
per second).

wget http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/
--20:57:23--  http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/
           => `index.html.1'
Resolving www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com...
Connecting to www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OKLength:
unspecified [text/html]

    [                <=>                  ] 11,042       149.60B/s

Again on any other FC4 it works fine.

wget http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/
--20:57:23--  http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/
           => `index.html.1'
Resolving www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com...
Connecting to www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com:80... connected.
Length: unspecified [text/html]

    [ <=>                                 ] 38,085       231.38K/s

20:57:37 (230.42 KB/s) - `index.html.1' saved [38085]

Both these problems were encounted on a live server at a data
centre running Fedora Core 6. I then did a fresh install on
another machine at the office of FC6 and reproduced both
problems. I then did a fresh install of FC8 on the same
machine and again managed to reproduce them straight away.

I have since downgraded the live server (reinstall) to FC4 and
the problem is resolved. The problem does not exist in Redhat
Enterprise 3 or 4.

This is a bit of a show stopper as rehards using Fedora for us.

Anyone any ideas? Quite happy to send the server details for
Testing off list. If anyone can give me some ideas how to debug
It or provide more information (tcpdump?) I'll be happy to do
So.

PS. There is also a bug in wget that it shows the transfer
Rate as K/s rather than KB/s when doing the transfer as
Can be seen above. The summary figure is correct.

Thanks in advance
Duncan