Serial Port Bug? Solved

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Nov 28 21:34:09 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:

>>>     I have looked and found nothing in the many pages of BIOS things
>>> but
>>> I could of missed it.
>>>

>> What model Biostar MB is this?  All their manuals are online; older
>> ones especially included screenshots of the setup screens.  Look for,
>> in the 'integrated peripherals' setup section the 'COM1' and 'COM2'
>> settings (the names might be different; I don't have a Biostar board
>> in front of me (got one at home, though, that I might put on the
>> breadboard and check out)).
>>

>>>     This is from #setserial -a /dev/ttyS0:
>>>
>>> [root at k5di ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
>>> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>>>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>>>         closing_wait: 3000
>>>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq
>>>

>>> This I think is good.
>>>

>> UART is unknown; no, this is bad.  If the kernel can't detect the
>> type of UART (it will likely be 16550A or similar for virtually all
>> modern MB's) then it can't use the port.
>>
>> On my own laptop, which does not have ANY serial ports:
>> [root at localhost ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
>> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>>         closing_wait: 3000
>>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq
>>
>> [root at localhost ~]#
>> So setserial doesn't help troubleshoot this.
>>
>> On the box with one serial port:
>> [root at itadmin ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
>> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>>         closing_wait: 3000
>>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>>
>> [root at itadmin ~]#
>> UART is a 16550A, and works.
>>
>    OK I do not have a manual about BIOS. If they have one I will get it!

    I dropped to the Bios. Your telling me it is in Integrated
Periferals did the trick. I had to hit enter on one I never have before
and there was Serial Port 1 disabled! I got it set to auto and now it works!

    I d/l the manual but it is a .exe file and I no windows to open it :-)

Thank You Lamar.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User