xev is indeed nifty, need assist on 2 wheel mouse

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Nov 29 02:26:59 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> Discovered xev on another list, but it is installed on FC7. xev will

/usr/bin/xev can be found in the xorg-x11-utils RPM

> open a little window for you to play with all of your mouse buttons and
> scroll wheel in. Just use a terminal window to launch it on the command
> line with "xev". It's really simplistic and sweet, pushing your mouse
> buttons will tell you what xorg button number is seen with the button
> press.

IFAICR, its been a part of X11 for a long time.  X11R3?

> I just hooked in an USB GE two scroll wheel optical mouse. One scroll
> wheel is slightly behind the the normal clickable one that is seen. Plus
> there are two other buttons on the left side. xev sees:
> Left main button	: 1
> Scroll wheel button 	: 2
> Right main button	: 3
> Scroll wheel forward	: 4
> Scroll wheel back	: 5
> 2nd Scroll wheel forward: 6
> 2nd Scroll wheel back	: 7
> First Side button	: 8
> Second Side button	: 9
>
> Using the original xorg.conf, when I unplugged the PS2 mouse and plugged
> in the USB mouse, the second scroll wheel was seen as buttones #6 and
> #7. Well, I DINKED with xorg.conf and now it's not seen at all. I
> restored the original xorg.conf file and it still is not seen now.
> <sigh>

I've been fartzing with with my X11 after my FC5->F8 upgrade, and my
Logitech MX1000 mouse isn't working right yet.  The old "InputDevice"
section in my old xorg.conf produces a NULL, no core pointer error.
Funny, it used to work OK under FC5.

> I used the mouse-driver man page found at http://www.die.net which
> explained the defs used for mice in xorg.conf.
>
> Question 1: option "buttons" should be listed as "buttons" "9" or
> "buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" or "buttons" "1 2 3 8 9" when you have 9
> expected buttons or 5 actual buttons with 4 5 6 7 assigned to scroll
> wheel buttons? It's not plain and several other web pages found by
> google show options "buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 " instead of a single number
> for a single scroll wheel mouse with three switches and two scroll wheel
> switches. God, I hope I'm not confusing everyone. :)

nope, its just not common knowledge, because most 2 and 3 button mice
just work "out of the box".

> Question 2: what is the difference in the use of ZAxisMapping,
> XAxisMapping, YAxisMapping??
> I've tried: 	Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7" and
>
> 		option "XAxisMapping" "4 5"
> 		option "YAxisMapping" "6 7"

IIRC, ZAxisMapping is usually used for your scroll wheel, to map it from
the "button events" generated by the mouse driver.  X and Y axis stuff
is usually the mouse movement.

> --- none seem to work. But I know that at first, before I screwed with
> everything that buttons 6 and 7 were reported in use by xev. Now they do
> not respond. Someone shoot me now or help me from the darkness. I need
> the relief either way. :) Ric

Not very well documented black magic.  B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net