OT: USB<->Ethernet printer server for router

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:16:39 UTC 2007

Hi all, this is not a Fedora question, but I am abusing the list's
collective knowledge :)

Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
send documents home for the wife to print).

Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
have not considered.

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com