anyone have an Acer TravelMate notebook or anything with an Atheros wifi chip?

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:29:07 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 11:13 AM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note, all of the above is before even attempting to use any form of
> encryption.  I want to get the thing functional to the point that I
> can ping other systems, and then I'll add in encryption.

Despite what lspci says, the wireless you have is NOT actually an AR5006EG,
it is in fact an AR5007EG (interestingly enough, Windows XP makes the same
identification mistake).  That is why it doesn't work; neither madwifi nor
ath5k currently support the AR5007EG.  At all.

I managed to 'fix' it by waltzing down to the nearby computer store and
buying a wireless PCMCIA card, because madwifi and ath5k won't work, and
ndiswrapper with this chipset is horribly unpredictable.