Question about LVM and RAID

moi rainer at lucien.sysadmin.at
Thu Nov 29 20:39:28 UTC 2007

RAID5 (if it really is one) ALWAYS has one drive´s capacity as spare...
the spare blocks are just distributed on the disks, thus avoiding the
bottleneck of a single spare drive (these would be raid levels 3 and 4).

what you meant was RAID6/ADG, a semi-proprietary stuff rather found on
hardware controllers, e.g. hp smartarrays. these do calculate a parity
for each n blocks, and for "n blocks+parity" generate a second parity
block. All these blocks are distributed evenly on all drives in the array.

The thing with ADG is the rebuild time - for example the RAIDs at work
have about 20 drives each (300 gig); the rebuild time on those is about
1 gb per hour minimum (when there is heavy activity on the raid set).
that would mean 300 hours without any protection (when using raid5) !
instead, with raid6/adg there still is one parity left.
bad thing, though, is the raid controller has to calculate a lot of
parities. furthermore, the cost is rather high with 2 disks´  worth  of
parity. Most of the time, such setups use RAID10 (mirror and stripe),
which uses much cheaper controllers and offers more performance.

sorry for off-topic :)