Fedora and Ubuntu

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 10:39:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 04:53 -0500, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > And, of course, there's yum-presto which downloads the *difference*
> > between the new updates and what's on your system, giving you a saving
> > of, on average, roughly 80%.
> >
> > Until the official Fedora repositories are presto-enabled, you have to
> > make some changes to your .repo files.  See
> > http://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto for more information.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > Full disclosure: I am the yum-presto maintainer
> >
> I was meaning to ask - what is the status of the sole current presto
> server?  You mentioned in
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00500.html
>
> that there is a 100 GB/month bandwidth limit, and that something would
> have to give soon (either help mirroring, or the official repos
> including the drpms).  The reason is that my father, who is on dialup,
> is considering replacing F7 with F8, but he is dependent upon presto to
> keep up with the updates, and F8 can be expected to have more of them.
> Do you think there's a significant chance that the server could be lost
> again?

Actually, the November bandwidth used was *down* (25G) from the October
bandwidth used (33G).  Some of this is due to the fact that someone else
has taken on creating F8's x86_64 deltarpms, so I no longer have those
downloads coming through.  I think the rest might be due to people being
scared off from my announcement on -devel (which wasn't my intention at
all).

I wouldn't worry about the possibility of the server going down. At some
point (hopefully), the Fedora 8 official repositories will be
presto-enabled and you will then be able to get your deltarpms directly
from them.  The Fedora 7 official repositories will never be
presto-enabled (at least as far as I understand it).

Jonathan