GPL

Jason Viloria jnvilo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:17:38 UTC 2007

Andy Green wrote:

>> In most cases, the end user supplies his own copy of the library, which
>> he obtained as a standard component of his OS distribtution, so I think
>> the whole concept is on pretty shaky legal ground. But, I wouldn't want
>> to be the one paying the court costs to sort it out.  And in the case of
>> MySql there's not much reason to, since PostgresSQL is arguably a better
>> database without any of the restrictions.  Even better, use ODBC, perl
>> DBI, or a similar database independent interface and let the end user
>> choose his own database so there can be no claim that you have created a
>> derived work.
>>

> I should think the vast bulk of work "using" MySQL is protected from
> this by being a PHP script or some other scripting language where SQL is
> used as one language database binding amongst many.
>
> -Andy

I've written various webapps commercially and on delivering the finished product I ask the client to install tomcat and mysql connector/J. Does this mean the webapp I have delivered needs to be under GPL?. I have always assumed this was not the case since I am not exactly deriving any code from tomcat or mysql.

So now after following this thread, I am now confused.

br
Jason