F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Tue Oct 9 22:00:34 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    Looking at the pages you direct me to show special cases of using
> grub as a secondary boot loader if there is some reason the standard
> grub will not work. I can see no reason why grub should not work fine
> and you stop using the windows boot software.
>
>    Your fear of loosing  windows has made you do the thing you have
> now. I see no reason why a new kernel should cause any problem. So the
> problem is elsewhere.
>
>    Please answer the questions and a way to fix the problem will emerge.

As I stated already, those were not the original pages I found and used
as a guide to getting Linux up and running on my machine. I found those
in under two minutes to respond to your original response. I don't know
the reasoning, perhaps it's NTFS on my WinXP partition, but it is being
very finicky when it comes to the MBR, and I don't have the Windows
skills to fix a problem there. The reason I'm wondering if a kernel
update might have triggered my problem is because the fedoraproject.org
page I referenced specifically states "you must reconfigure your primary
boot loader whenever you install and boot from a new kernel." Naturally
I'm no expert, but that seems a reasonable conclusion.

See my last email (sent minutes ago), and answers will be provided later
today.

Raymond