Delayed booting problem on F7

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 13 01:35:59 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> ie: ping k5di
?? Did you try - post the response ?

>> Even if it the hostname is pingable now, I think it would not have
>> been pingable at the time when Karl had the initial problem. His
>> contents of /etc/resolv.conf showed the comment from dhclient. I'll
>> put down some further possibilities that may have led to this issue
>> {that seemed to resolve itself}.
>>
>> Since likely a DSL connection to the internet:
>> - Network cable faulty or partially plugged in {wired} ?
>>
>> - Assuming a DSL router does the pppoe login:
>>   - powered off
>>   - rebooting at the inopportune moment {check the uptime of the router}
?? Did you find how to access the router logs {do you have one} ?

>>   - relogging on due to inactivity timeout {check the router logs -
>> and that it time marks are correct time}
?? Also, does it log giving you an dhcp address ?

>>   - failed to give out an dhcp address ?
Unfortunately, you would have had to check that at the time of the
issue, not after three reboots.

>>   - the received dhcp address has a domain that does not exist {if I
>> set domain in my router's dhcp server as "zzz", then for eg sendmail
>> needs to be able to resolve `hostname`.zzz - it will timeout after 1
>> minute, try again, time out after the second minute, then sm-client
>> will also timeout - leads to a 3 minute boot delay}.
?? Where you actually getting such a boot delay ? 3 minutes is a long
time when your waiting for you PC to boot. Or was the delay at each item
longer / shorter ?

# time service sendmail restart

>> - A change to a PC setting:
>>   - hostname changed {and not updated in /etc/hosts} ?
>>   - firewall config change ?
>>   - package update {less /var/log/yum.log} ?
>> eg: Sep 28 22:47:50 Updated: iptables-ipv6 - 1.3.8-2.1.fc7.i386
>> eg: Oct 11 22:54:16 Updated: dbus-glib - 0.73-3.fc7.i386
>> {it might help us to see the most recent 50 entries from yum.log}
?? No package updates at all in the last two weeks ?
What about 5 weeks ? It would be useful to see the list {maybe attach
your yum.log}.

>> - An issue in a package
>>   - network manager, dbus, dhclient, iptables ?
Is your PC set for dhcp or static ip address ?

{if dhcp} In  system-config-network is the checkbox called
"automatically obtain dns information from provider" set ?

Do you use network manager ?

>> - "fail to find cups and then sendmail":
>>   - The description is poor. A better one might be "the system shows:
>> Starting cups ...  and then sits there for some minutes. This also
>> occurred at the starting sendmail / sm-client ... part". It is not
>> that the system can't find either of these programs, but that they are
>> taking more than normal time to startup.
?? Would you agree that my description is a clearer description of what
you were seeing ? Can you improve upon it ? {The world is broken would
not be a clear description of the symptoms}.

>> - "Thunderbird was broken"
>>   - There was no further mention of the nature of the issue with
>> thunderbird. Was it delay in getting email ? Were there any error
>> messages ? what exactly was the issue ? Was it delay in starting
>> thunderbird at all ?
?? So there was no issue with thunderbird {at the time} ?

# sestatus says what ?

# grep avc /var/log/messages*  {as another attachment}.

> None of the above.
That's a pretty brief response. Even though this issue has cost you some
time - would you mind giving responses to the queries I made, especially
the ones I left in above ? Thanks

DaveT.