Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Oct 14 23:39:16 UTC 2007

Doug Purdy wrote:

> I can mount the NTFS drive and I can mount sdb2 if I don't specify the
> filesystem type. That's where Grub is in a folder with the 2 kernel
> config, initrd, systme.map and vmlinuz files. I haven't figured out how
> to mount the sdb1 partition and the sdb3 LVM partition claims to be
> mounted already although I don't know where to look for it. Maybe it
> will mount if I try a link.

Dumb question - what is the partition type of /dev/sdb1? (You may
have posted the output of fdisk -l /dev/sdb, but if so, I missed
it.) If it is an extended partition, a swap partition, or an LVM
volume, you will not be able to mount it at all.

One other point to keep in mind - Groub starts numbering things at
0, while Linux, and fdisk start numbering things at one. So when
grub.conf is talking about hd1,1 it is talking about sdb2, not sda1.

Mikkel