fc6 nearing eol but f7 not useable yet (rant or feedback?)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 26 19:02:14 UTC 2007

Mike Wright wrote:

[Snipped comment on Pup and toolbar. Feel free to search and request
enhancements in bugzilla]

> Second, where did the Applications->Run Program option go?

Alt+F2. Menu option is hidden by default in upstream GNOME.

> Q: if it's really to be known as f7 why are the kernels named
> "something.fc7"?  I think the decision to change the naming scheme
> wasn't wise.  Google on f7 and you'll get lots of hits on the function
> key but very little on fedora.

It is called "Fedora Collection" now. Renaming all packages makes
upgrades problematic.

> Q: why was it decided to put marketing names on the applications and
> remove their properties?  How are we supposed to help debug, etc, if the
> program identities are hidden from us?  This decision forces users back
> into CLI mode.  Kind of defeats the whole GUI approach, doesn't it?

Descriptive names are much better for non-technical users compared to a
menu entry called "Pup".  You can easily use the menu editor to find out
names without ever touching the command line FYI.

> Enough for now.  I have to figure out why I have two different versions
> of dbus with mangled dependencies (which cause pup to bomb).  I'll also
> take a look at KDE to see if I have better luck there.

# yum install yum-utils
# package-cleanup --dupes

or --problems can help.

> I would be curious to hear from early adopters what their f(c)8
> experiences have been like.

Been good for me.

Rahul