nvidia blues

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 12:11:46 UTC 2007

Today Karl Larsen did spake thusly:

>   I had nvidia running fine on this computer using the kmod-nvidia files
> that come from fedora. Then I was told about better nvidia software from
> their web site. I got it and tried to install it on this computer. It did not
> install and it ruined the older nvidia.

If you install stuff over existing stuff it'll most likely break...what
you appear to have done is installed the livna kmod-nvidia package and its
dependencies and then installed the nvidia binary installer over this

>   I find init has nvidia in it and it comes up broken. It writes FAILED in
> red letters on bootup. It complains it can't find a python config file and it
> is not there, I checked.

You've probably overwritten some of the yum installed files with nvidia
installer files

>   Now what I would really like to do is eliminate that entry in init so I
> can use the newer nvidia. Failing in that I need to find out what sets up the
> nvidia with the kmod-nvidia files.

yum remove kmod-nvidia (to remove the rpm version from livna)

nvidia-installer --uninstall (to remove the binary version from nvidia)

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003