RPM

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:07:25 UTC 2007

Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 15:13 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Dave Burns wrote:

>> If you learn to read man pages you don't need so many books.  They are a
>> lot faster to read, too.
>
> But a lot less convenient on the bus (train, plane, toilet, in the park
> near the lake, on the couch during commercials, in the waiting room at
> the doctor's office, etc and so forth). And they just aren't as bloody
> "sexy" as a nicely printed book, are they? :-)

If you carry a laptop, you can have them all much more portably than a
big stack of paper books and easier to search.

> And, as this list and certain of its members have indeed quite recently
> shown, not every man page is written in a way that Joe Lunchbox can
> readily assimilate. Heck, let's be blunt here. Some of them are
> remarkably poorly written.

That's why I said 'learn to read' them. It wasn't an insult - it isn't
easy.  They all assume that you already know everything the shell will
do to your commands before the program in question even starts; many
assume you already know what a lot of other man pages say.  But once you
do know those things you don't want to read them again every time.

> That said, I'm not in complete disagreement with you, Les. RTFM is even
> today completely apropos and should be the mantra of everybody who's
> chosen to be part of the Linux experience. But don't knock a book,
> Maestro. It kind of pisses us scribblers off.

Tutorial styles are OK but you only need them once.  After you know
_what_ a program does you want a concise reference instead.  Books
should split the sections so you don't have to wade through pages and
pages of tutorial when all you want to find is one option setting.

> Andy
>
> (Every try to loan a great man page to a friend?)

Better to be even more concise there and give them the one line command
they are looking for.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com