basic question about assigning ip address

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:54:23 UTC 2007

> It does have an option to turn off the DHCP server - problem is, when I
> connect the Zyxel in the same way that I used to connect the Linksys, it
> exhibits odd, dysfunctional behavior, viz. it only works with one of my
> two machines.  I can connect one other machine, either wirelessly or
> wired, but when I plug in the second, I suddenly lose the ability on the
> first to find my DNS servers.  I guess I should do more testing - that's
> not a very precise error report...
>
> --

Did your ISP perhaps change the rules?  Perhaps they now only allow
one IP per residential customer?  If that is the case, that would
certainly explain why you are not getting a second IP from your ISP.
The problem may rest with limitations imposted by them.

With the way you were using it and still want to use it you don't need
a gateway/router.  All you'd need is a switch (or hub if security
between your two machines is not an issue) between your ADSL modem and
your PCs.  One that supports wireless.

But again if your ISP has imposed a limit on the number of IP
allocated to a customer then your first machine connecting will get an
IP but not the second one.

Do you notice that?  Is it the first machine to go live that gets the
IP regardless if your Windows box or your Fedora box?  If so then what
I described herein is quite likely your problem.

Jacques B.