basic question about assigning ip address

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Oct 1 03:02:09 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
>> It does have an option to turn off the DHCP server - problem is, when I
>> connect the Zyxel in the same way that I used to connect the Linksys, it
>> exhibits odd, dysfunctional behavior, viz. it only works with one of my
>> two machines.  I can connect one other machine, either wirelessly or
>> wired, but when I plug in the second, I suddenly lose the ability on the
>> first to find my DNS servers.  I guess I should do more testing - that's
>> not a very precise error report...
>>
>> --
>
> Did your ISP perhaps change the rules?  Perhaps they now only allow
> one IP per residential customer?  If that is the case, that would
> certainly explain why you are not getting a second IP from your ISP.
> The problem may rest with limitations imposted by them.
>
> With the way you were using it and still want to use it you don't need
> a gateway/router.  All you'd need is a switch (or hub if security
> between your two machines is not an issue) between your ADSL modem and
> your PCs.  One that supports wireless.
>
> But again if your ISP has imposed a limit on the number of IP
> allocated to a customer then your first machine connecting will get an
> IP but not the second one.
>
> Do you notice that?  Is it the first machine to go live that gets the
> IP regardless if your Windows box or your Fedora box?  If so then what
> I described herein is quite likely your problem.

Agree...

It would be very helpful if the OP would simply state their network
configuration when connected.  That is, the correct IP address as well as
the subnet mask.  As in the output of "ifconfig".

It doesn't help to obfuscate ones network configuration/settings when asking
for help on networking issues.

Posting something like...

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:23:46:CE:22
          inet addr:203.70.27.121  Bcast:203.70.27.127  Mask:255.255.255.248
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:3385299968 (3.1 GiB)  TX bytes:1584591809 (1.4 GiB)
          Base address:0x8000 Memory:d2200000-d2220000

Isn't going to make you open to attack.