basic question about assigning ip address

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 1 05:51:44 UTC 2007

Jacques B:
> If you had a static, PUBLIC IP address for each of your two systems,
> then they were not on an INTERNAL network.  They were on the
> PUBLIC/EXTERNAL network (unless your ISP uses internal addresses for
> all clients which I haven't seen before).

There are some that do give their customers LAN IPs.  They'd have to be
the cheapest of ISPs to not have enough IPs for their customers, and
it'd present all manner of networking problems for various applications
that just don't work well with NAT.

> If you do not get an IP from your ISP, you cannot go ahead and assign
> one yourself.  Again this is based on how you explained your network,
> that you were getting public IP addresses for both machines.  Unless
> your ISP has allocated a block of static IPs (which would apply to a
> business setup, not a home setup) in which case you probably could
> simply assign them the static IPs.

Even ISPs that give clients fixed IPs often use DHCP to assign them.  It
frees them from dealing with customers who can't configure their own
equipment, and subsequent problems when they change some addresses (like
their DNS servers, or gateways), even if your IP stays the same.

If they do that, you can set some modem/routers to act as a DCHP relay,
so you can use DHCP without getting into an IP address fight.  It'll act
as a go between between your ISP and your network, doling out the IPs
the ISP wants you to use, not inventing IPs just for itself.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.