Alias for pen drives

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 1 12:14:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 13:42 +0200, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> This is an approach that should work, keep in mind you might want use
> different options, dirs...
>
> Pay attention to sdaX, where the X is the number of your usb port, you
> can see it if you plug your usb and tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> /dev/sdaX /media/pendrive auto defaults,noauto,user 0 0

Which isn't "setting a label for the drive" as the question was asked
about two messages back.  And that's not how the device name will be
constructed.  It'll be anything from /dev/sda1 up to /dev/sdz1, with the
*letter* changing depending on what else grabbed a letter, in the first
place.  The number 1 will stay the same, as that refers to the
partitions on that device.

Since there's a variable, using fstab entries with removable drives is a
real problem (now it might be /dev/sda1, next time it might
be /dev/sdb1).  You could make a HAL or UDEV rule (I can't remember
which is the current technique), which makes a symlink to the right
device with a device name of your choosing (e.g. /dev/flashdisk being a
link to whatever /dev/sdX the flashdrive gets, and your fstab entry
referring to your fixed /dev/flashdrive name).  But you'd have to do
that to every PC that you use it with.

The simpler approach is to give the drive a label.  If you're using a
Windows file system on it, and you usually will be, then the mtools
package has what's needed to twiddle that.  You need to play with the
mtools configuration file to give your device a drive letter, just for
this task, so that you can rename the drive.

But it's usually easier to plug the device into a Windows box and
"rename" the drive.  i.e. Plug it into Windows, right-click its icon,
rename it.  Then, Linux will use that drive name as the label.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.