Recommendation for Fedora server?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 1 20:45:03 UTC 2007

<http://www.mini-box.com/60w-12v-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter_2?sc=8&category=13>?

> Well not quite. Its OK if you don't have any spinning platters in your
> hard drive. But you asked for 200-300GB of storage.
>
> But if you just wanted 32GB of flash... then this would work.
>
> Or, you had all your big drives on the usb 2.0 bus.

Well, this is a 60 watt adaptor, not 30 watts as someone said.
I would have thought that was quite enough for a Mini-ITX + one disk.
My ancient PIII system,
with 3 disks (including 300MB SCSI and 250MB IDE drives)
and no care taken about power consumption, only takes 80-90 watts,
even at startup.
This system has 2 fans (CPU and box) and a 250 watt PSU.

I'm interested in a system running off 240 volts, not an in-car system.
Wouldn't something like the fanless VIA EPIA EN12000E
with a low-power laptop disk (maybe 100-150GB) do the job?

I'm surprised how little discussion of what I would have thought
was a common need - a low-power server - there seems to be.