Starting to think about videoconferencing in Fedora

Mike C mike.cohler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 10:47:49 UTC 2007

Amadeus W.M. <amadeus84 <at> verizon.net> writes:

> Ekiga - the former gnomemeeting - was the gnome port of MS's netmeeting,
> so I gave it the first try a couple of months back. It seemed promising,
> but it was crashing when trying video, apparently due to an alsa bug,

> I did get video working with kopete (part of kdenetwork)+ jabber +
> jasper, but, to my surprise, no audio. I thought I wasn't smart enough to

> Surprisingly, after a number of posts to the ffmpeg list, I got ffserver
> to display images from my camera, over the network. That's geek stuff

Thanks for the followup -

Ekiga works fine on two machines in different locations that I have tried, and
also for someone I know elsewhere. In these three cases the NAT system allows
the STUN server to do its work very well. However in another case the ADSL modem
is clearly not set up to allow the STUN server to work so it is not possible to
register with the ekiga server. However you can't change the image size it seems.

I never managed to get kopete to work with video. I did not know about the audio!

I guess running ffserver will allow someone to see the video through a browser
but what we don't yet seem to have is a system where you can reliably plug in
a webcam, open an application, ask your contact to the the same and then
connect up reliably with a video and audio link. mebeam is about the closest
since it only needs a browser with flash installed and provided you have
a webcam that the system recognises it just works, irrespective of the operating
system.

Oh and to answer the previous comment - yes I meant openwengo - I never got
wengo visio to work for me.