Kernel boot failure

Derek C Hopkins derek.hopkins at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 2 13:10:50 UTC 2007

At 07:49 PM 01/10/2007, you wrote:
>On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 19:18 -0400, Derek C Hopkins wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> >          Just upgraded to FC7   using DVD  LXFdvd95  from Linux
> > formst.  No problem   nor 209 updates of 210 that the system wanted
> > to install  but  I singled out one that caused me not to be able
> to re-boot.
> >
> > The Kernal upgrade causes a problem.  when doing the required Re-boot
> > it gets to the line
> >
> > Uncompressing Linux.... OK, Booting the Kernel.
> > _
> >
> > and then hangs.
> >

> > the top line is
> >
> > (booting Fedora '(2.6.22.9-91.fc7)'
> >

> > How can I recover from this ??   (new to linux and fedora)    I can
> > reload the DVD and upgrade the 209 packages  but NOT the Kernel!  it
> > reboots after the 209 packages OK.
> >
> > Help required Please.
>----
>wow - way too much signature
>
>did you check out
>http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f7/en_US/sn-Installer.html#Upgrade-Related-Issues
>
>also probably of more significance, just slightly above the anchor
>linked above...
>

>5.1. Changes in Anaconda
>       * Many minor user interface changes:
>
>               * Ability to select the boot drive
>
>               * Advanced storage options, including the ability to add
>                 an iSCSI target and disable dmraid devices
>
>               * The time zone page includes a magnification slider to
>                 zoom into different areas of the world when choosing
>                 location
>
>       * Improved Live images support
>
>       * Ability to install from Live image running from RAM or USB stick
>
>       * Improved IEEE-1394 (Firewire) support
>
>       * Improved installation for Sony PlayStation 3
>
>       * French keyboard layout uses latin9
>
>       * Improved kickstart installation
>
>       * Use of /dev/hdX is deprecated on i386 and and x86_64 for IDE
>         drives, and has changed to /dev/sdX except on PPC. See note
>         about the importance of labeling devices for upgrades from FC6.
>
>This last point is probably very significant for you
>
>--
>Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>
>
>--

Hi Craig     No signature this time.

The file  is labeled  sda1 label = "/boot"      not as hdd1  as shown
in your reference.  also sdb is not shown at all in /sbin/blkid  command

Hi Matt

I do not understand.  where do I put your "try appending
'edd=skipmbr' to the kernel command"

I am loading a DVD for initial installation,  Then "Boot Now"  it
says 210 updates available  so I select to install  then again I get
"Boot now"   this is selected and the it hangs.

Cheers Derek