Kernel boot failure

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 2 15:16:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 09:10 -0400, Derek C Hopkins wrote:
> I do not understand.  where do I put your "try appending
> 'edd=skipmbr' to the kernel command"

In general, such instructions to append kernel parameters mean for you
to edit the kernel line in the GRUB configuration.  Either by editing
the grub.conf file, or just editing the command line options during the
boot process (when the grub menu appears, press the hot keys to edit,
there's on-screen prompts as to what to press and when).

Taking an old example, you'd find a stanza like this, below, and append
your options onto the end of the kernel line.  And, for the sake of
trouble shooting, removing options like rhgb and quiet can help you see
what's going on during the boot process.

originally:
title Fedora Core (2.6.20-1.2320.fc5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2320.fc5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.20-1.2320.fc5.img

modified:
title Fedora Core (2.6.20-1.2320.fc5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2320.fc5 ro root=LABEL=/ edd=skipmbr
        initrd /initrd-2.6.20-1.2320.fc5.img

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.