OT (most likely) strange modem disconnection when using USB drives

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Oct 2 17:47:20 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:27:04 +0930
> Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Anybody think of other things to try?
>
> That sounds to me very much like an electrical problem rather than an electronic
> problem.  Your USB enclosure device is creating a ground loop or a short that
> is causing your modem to disconnect.  Your modem is apparently the only device
> that you have that is sufficiently sensitive to be affected by this.
>
> Try switching the modem to a different electrical circuit and see if anything
> changes.  (Note that "different circuit" doesn't just mean a different plug-in
> in the same room as they might be on the same circuit.)
>
> My next step, were I  you, would be to call an electrician and have him check
> things out.  Aside from the inconvenience, something like this could also be
> hazardous to your house and your life.

I second this. If you can, check out the "polarity" of the outlets.
I know this is usually used to refer to DC circuits, but you can run
into problems if the phases on an AC circuit are reversed on one or
more outlets. I don't know if you are using grounded outlets, but if
so, make sure you have a good ground. In the US, they sell cheap
circuit testers with 3 neon lights that tell you right away if you
have an outlet wired wrong. Well worth the $2 price.

Mikkel