gdm login screen fails to load

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Oct 3 15:44:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:18:08 +0200
fedora <fedora at ayni.com> wrote:

> Hi Frank
> did you ever check the gdm config files:
> /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf
> /etc/gdm/custom.conf
>
> the second has priority over the first.
>
> could it be a chooser/greeter issue?
> the chooser being a display/screen, where you can select a remote host
> for login via XDCMP
> the greeter being the normal login screen.
>
> on the greeter display (the login screen) you can open the options and
> then select the chooser display. IF YOU DO THAT, YOU WILL NEVER SEE A
> GREETER DISPLAY ANY MORE, unless you change the /etc/gdm/custom.conf
> manually. if, inadvertantly, you may have selected the chooser, then the
> issue is similar to your mistery.

Thanks a lot for your ideas.

I checked the timestamp on /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf and it is dated August
7, which is well before I set this machine up.

Other than comments, this is all there is in /etc/gdm/custom.conf:

[daemon]
RemoteGreeter=/usr/libexec/gdmgreeter
[security]
[xdmcp]
Enable=true
[gui]
[greeter]
SystemMenu=false
GraphicalTheme=Thumbsupdog
[chooser]
[debug]

I had considered the idea that my custom theme might be screwing things up but
I set it back to use the Centos default theme and the problem didn't go away.

Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.