gdm login screen fails to load

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Oct 3 19:10:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:37:10 -0700
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:

> with no one online, you could simply get a command line and type
> 'telinit 3' (runlevel 3 doesn't have any xdmcp/gdm/kdm)

I can try that, but it will have to wait until sometime when (a) I am
physically at the office to see what happens when I do that, and (b) nobody else
is trying to use the computer.

> It does occur to me to ask whether the lack of a login screen is for
> local signon, remote signon or both.

The graphical login screen is missing when the computer is first booted
up, until I hit ctrl-alt-f7 to switch from the text login screen, then
ctrl-alt-esc to reset X and then gdm shows up as expected.

This is ONLY on the server itself.  All of the terminals that are connected to
that server come up with their gdm graphical login screens as soon as the
server finishes booting, just as expected.  Whether or not the gdm screen is
showing on the server itself has no effect on that at all.  The terminals "just
work" every time.

As I said, that's why I'm thinking this business of reconfiguring xdmcp for
LTSP is something of a long shot, as the  LTSP installation doesn't seem to have
any problems. It's just the login screen on the actual server that's not working
right.