shell variable security

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 3 21:00:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 15:15 +0000, tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
> I have to write some BASH scripts.
>
> We have all heard about security problems with shell variables
>
> (i.e. when entering a name someone enters something like "Tony; rm
> -rf /root/*" )
>
> so that if the BASH scripts echoes it will will do something like echo
> Tony; rm -rf /root/*.

Why do you have the permissions on your root directory and its contents
that an ordinary user can erase?
A pickup with three guys in it pulls into the lumber yard. One of the
men gets out and goes into the office. "I need some four-by-two's," he
says. "You must mean two-by-four's" replies the clerk. The man scratches
his head. "Wait a minute," he says, "I'll go check." Back, after an
animated conversation with the other occupants of the truck, he
reassures the clerk, that, yes, in fact, two-by-fours would be
acceptable. "OK," says the clerk, writing it down, "how long you want
'em?" The guy gets the blank look again. "Uh... I guess I better go
check," he says. He goes back out to the truck, and there's another
animated conversation. The guy comes back into the office. "A long
time," he says, "we're building a house".
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net