How to force a (SATA) drive to be sda and the PATA one sdb

Alfredo Ferrari list at pceet030.cern.ch
Wed Oct 3 21:04:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, ed at hp.uab.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Alfredo Ferrari wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I have the following problem:
>>
>> a) a laptop with a SATA drive
>> b) a modular bay in the same laptop where I can fit a DVD, a battery
>>   or a PATA drive
>>
>> If the PATA drive is there Fedora 7 recognizes it as /dev/sda and the SATA
>> one as /dev/sdb. Without the PATA one, the SATA one is obviously /dev/sda.
>> I would like to find a way to force the SATA one to be /dev/sda always:
>> using labels is only mitigating the issue of the (main) disk flipping name,
>> since some partitions are mounted via autofs which does not accept labels,
>> and others are Windows ones which again cannot be mounted by labels at
>> least to my knowledge.
>>
>> In short, is there any mean (kernel parameter?) to force the SATA drive
>> come first? BTW on Fedora Core 6 this issue was never present.
>>

> Alfredo, I had the same problem when I added a SCSI controller into the
> computer. The SCSI module was loaded first, then the SATA module. This bumped
> the SATA drive that was sda to sdb, and nothing worked right.
>
> Solution: extract the initial ramdisk, edit the 'init' script, and reorder
> the module loading. Make sure the module for the sata is loaded before the
> ide module.
>
> Now, I am not familliar with the PIDE modules, so you are on your own there.
> But I would look for a line like
>
> insmod /lib/ide-scsi.ko
>
> and put it after a line like: ( since I have the NVidia chipset)
>
> insmod /lib/sata_nv.ko
>
> shout out again, if you don't know what I'm talking about when I say 'initial
> ramdisk'
>
> Otherwise: Think again about labels, that's what they are for. And you have
> already booted grub, and grub found the initial ramdisk... That may be all
> you need.
>
> ed

Thanks a lot for the answer. I tried to work with the initial ramdisk, I
managed to edit the init and, sigh, there is no ide module loaded,
apparently the libata + ata_piix do both PATA and SATA in recent kernels,
so apparently there is no obvious way to get the disks in the "right"
order. Googling a bit I found other people complaining that PATA's are
recognized before SATA's now... so I am still with my problem.
Labels are fine for ext3 partition and no automount, while I have Windows
partitions as well, and a lot of partition with automount (just because
the second disk is there sometimes yes sometimes no)

                     Thanks a lot for the help
                       Alfredo Ferrari

|  Alfredo Ferrari                         ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119         |
|  C.E.R.N.                                ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555         |
|  European Laboratory for Particle Physics||                                |
|  AB Division / ATB Group                 ||  e-mail:                       |
|  1211 Geneva 23                          ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at cern.ch    |
|  Switzerland                             ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at mi.infn.it |