F7 Firefox, Thunderbird and precaching

David Mohring NZheretic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:34:50 UTC 2007

On F7 Mozilla based applications are flaky crashing intermittently
( segfault ) and sometimes refusing to restart, and I am beginning to
think there may be a problem with F7 pre-linking.

1) My hardware and kernel appears to be working fine, (uname -a ...
 Linux xxxxxxxx 2.6.22.9-91.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 23:10:59 EDT 2007 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
) the system passes CD based memcheck without any errors appearing.

2) Only thunderbird and firefox based applications are affected
( including galeon  and on rare occasions liferay ).

3) Removing/moving all plugins and/or ~/.mozilla/firefox setting does not
reduce the incidence of crashes and does not help when the application
repeatedly crashes seconds after launch.

4) I cannot reproduce the crash under strace.

The work around that solve the problem for a while ( days in most cases )
is to remove and reinstall each of the packages in question...

sudo rpm -e --nodeps thunderbird
sudo rpm -ivh /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/thunderbird-2.0.0.5-2.fc7.i386.rpm

I only have one PC running Fedora 7. Is anybody else having the same
issues with firefox,thunderbird,galeon etc if so does reinstalling the
packages as above help?

If no one else is having the same problems then it may be a hardware problem
otherwise I will put it on bugzilla at redhat.

Thanks.
 David